Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Default Cause of Increased resistance ("drag") in VHS Cassettes

On 10 mayo, 18:46, (Brad) wrote:
Hi,

I service TVs and VCRs for over 10 years. I have a jig I use to unlock
the reels in a VHS cassette. I also have a reel/spindel, removed from an old
VCR, that I use to insert into the TU side of the cassette, that is fully
rewound. I can feel, as I turn the spindle with my fingers, if this cassette
has a lot of resistance ("drag").

I 'm with the others - I have opened up older well-used cassettes and
you can even see faint friction lines on the backside of the tape. get
one old one for yourself and open the flap, within the first 5 minutes
of the tape you should see what I mean- It's just wear and tear.
-B