campindad

Default Home Depot responds to criticism

Thanks Mike for raising the issue and also making us aware of the response.

Home Depot's statement today sounds very reasonable to me.

- Galen

"Praising Jesus" wrote in message
AFA Action Alert!
Home Depot responds to criticism
July 29, 2003
"We contribute to the non-religious activities of faith-based

organizations
that meet our requirements." - Douglas Zacker, Home Depot

discriminate against churches or Christians in its corporate giving

policy.

According to Douglas Zacker, Manager of External Affairs, "The Home Depot
does not adhere to a policy that automatically rejects faith-based
organizations. We contribute to the non-religious activities of

faith-based
organizations that meet our requirements. We regret any miscommunication
about our giving policies."

AFA criticized Home Depot after a store manager rejected a small donation
request by Special Youth Challenge Ministries (SYC) in Dallas, Georgia.

SYC is a national volunteer ministry that grants requests from terminally
ill and handicapped youth in the field of shooting and hunting. The

manager
told SYC, "We will not donate any funds to any church or Christian
ministry." Zacker said the manager's comment was a mischaracterization of
the corporate policy.

Zacker has promised to investigate the issue thoroughly.

Zacker said Habitat For Humanity is a good example of their policy. "They
are a faith-based organization, but building affordable housing is within
our giving guidelines," he said.

According to the policy, for example, if a church men's group requested a
lumber donation to build playground equipment at the church, the group

would
not qualify. However, if the same men's group requested the donation to
build playground equipment at the local park, the request would be
considered because it helps youth at risk and benefits the entire

community.

"We appreciate Home Depot clarifying their policy," said AFA chairman Don
Wildmon. "Home Depot has assured us the policy is equal to all faiths. I

do
think this clarification will help local store managers better understand
the corporate position."

ACTION NEEDED
AFA thanks you for taking action on this issue. No further action is

needed.