Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook Wayne Cook is offline

Default Treadmill motor wiring diagram, anyone???

On Sun, 11 May 2008 11:06:37 -0400, John Husvar
wrote:

In article ,
Dave wrote:

Black and Yellow going to the field windings.
Blue and Brown going to the tach windings
Each of the brushes have spade terminals on them and no wires as yet.

Which would tell me one can wire it either series or shunt field.

Series provides the greatest torque. The more you load it the more
current it draws until it burns up. Connect one field wire to one brush
and line leads to the other brush and other field wire. Tach leads to a
tach circuit that'll suit or leave open.

The way you describe it, it was probably shunt wired. Shunt connected
provides better speed control and easier possibility of dynamic braking.
Reduce armature current and increase field current to brake. Connect the
field wires to the appropriate terminals on a drive. Same with the
brushes. Tach wires to appropriate terminals. Use a field-loss relay!
GA,AMWIST.

Ok. Since nobody else in the know is piping up I think I better jump
in here before something goes poof.

First off these are series wound motors. I'd have to go look to make
sure but I'm betting the brushes are already wired in (I've never seen
or heard of one that wasn't already wired properly except possibly the
need to switch the brush wires to reverse the motor). If that's not
the case then we can go into more detail.

The controller should be fairly simple since you know where the
schematics are, I'd have to look them up myself before I could tell
you more and I'm the one who drew them.

Tach windings can be used, and probably were, to control speed under
varying load conditions.

Definitely in this case since the controller is triac based (in
other words it's just a fancy light dimmer). You might want to look at
the schematics before assuming this is a standard controller.