Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Small wiring puzzle

On May 10, 11:14*pm, Pat wrote:
On May 10, 7:15*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:

I'm sure you guys will crack it instantly.

I'm replacing a light and the switch that controlled it. I removed the
switch first. The switch connected a black and a white wire that came
in the same sheath. The white one was hot. (I know that sometimes this
means something, but what?)

Then when I removed the light I discovered that it, too, had a black
and a white wire connected to it, and the black one is hot. Now that
the light is disconnected, the black whire is still hot, but the wire
that used to be connected to the switch is now dead.

There are no other wires in either electrical box.

I'm racking by brain, but can't figure out how everything was
connected.

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron

Is the light on a "three way switch". *By that I mean, are there TWO
switches that operate the light -- say one at each end of a hallway or
at the top and bottom of stairs?- Hide quoted text -

Remote possibility?
Interesting how we tend to say "Three way switch" even though each
switch has only two positions and there ae only two of them. However
don't think this has anything to do with OPs wiring question?