Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand Mark Rand is offline

Default Soft vise jaws -- aluminum vs. brass

On Wed, 07 May 2008 12:55:54 -0500, Ignoramus18547
wrote:

Are there any serious disadvantages of "soft jaws" made of Aluminum?

The reason for my question is that I have a Wilton tradesman 1765
vise (6.5" jaw width), and I have aluminum angle already. Brass jaws
cost $85 and I thought that I coudl just fabricate something from the
angle.

Any experiences with aluminum jaws?

Throw away the original jaws and replace them with smooth hardened jaws. If
the jaws are already smooth as they should be on a fitter's vice, then get
them reground if they are marking the work due to damage.

Mark Rand (doesn't use soft jaws in his Record #24 fitter's vice)
RTFM