Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default compass

C & S wrote:

Scrounging around for the right sized round object to draw a circle has
gotten old so I finally made myself a compass.BTW, the template for the
top of the compass is the bottom of a yogurt cup.

It's made from hard maple. The bolt is a regular 1/4-20 carriage bolt.
After being chucked in the lathe, it took me all of 2 minutes with a file,
sandpaper and then a little buffing compound to turn it into a toughable
chrome-like fastener. Originally I was going to use a wing nut on the
other side, but I found that I could thread a bolt directly into a 7/32"
hole and the threads held just fine. Oh, and there's a reason why the
"nut" looks alot like a -20- biscuit.

One of those shop gadgets the you can use w/pride. How wide is the max.
radius? I'm always trying to draw circles way bigger than the standard
store bought compasses will go. Guess I ought to follow your lead!

Maybe you ought to draw up some outlines on grid paper and submit it to the
tips section of one of the WW magazines. Who knows, it might win you a
nifty new tool or a little bit of $.

Thanks for looking.

Thanks for posting...

....Kevin