Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default Small wiring puzzle

On Sat, 10 May 2008 19:49:35 -0700 (PDT), Aaron Fude
wrote:

To clarify matters - yes, I'm just trying to figure out how it works,
not how to put it back together. And I still don't get it.

There are *only* to wires in each electrical box. I'm sure I did not
miss anything, because I have now removed the electrical boxes. Each
of the two wires came from a single romex.

So Cliff's suggestion was mostly likely, but that is not it. So I am
still puzzled.

One thing I am thinking is that I've been using a cheapo pen-like
voltage detector. Maybe my readings are wrong. I will go back and use
something a little bit more refined.

Use this drawing.
http://www.tpub.com/content/construc.../14026_155.htm

We make the top splice A
Black wire at the light B
White wire at the light C

Black wire at the switch D
White wire at the switch E

The chepo pen actually would be best in this situation.

With the swtich on you should have power at A,B,D,E
With the switch off you should have power at A,E