Posted to alt.home.repair
boden boden is offline

Default "Colder weather" Garage door opener issue

EXT wrote:
It is a laugh to read about you southern softies talking about "colder"
weather in relationship to doors, concrete and many other subjects.
Here, temperatures below 50 degrees are a nice warm spring day. Cold
doesn't start until the temperature goes below 30 degrees, and that can
be a mild day, it doesn't really get real cold until it starts to dive
below 0 degrees. Northerners learn to do everything in that temperature.
Buildings get built, concrete poured, doors open and close, cars start
and run, people go to work, children go to school.

While a 50 degree day may be 50 degrees below a 100 degree day (we get
those too), it should have no effect on a garage door opening, other
than your door needs service in any temperature. I don't think you can
find a temperature related solution other than it has a problem.

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On May 10, 2:18 pm, " wrote:

My Craftsman 1/2 HP Garage Door opener always takes 3 or 4 attempts to
open the garage door in colder weather (under 50 degrees
temperature). It goes up about 1/4 of the way and just stops then we
close it and try again for 3-4 times and it finally opens the door.
If its really cold it takes more attempts. In warm weather (above
60 or 70 degrees) it opens with no problems on the first attempt.

I greased the chain and rollers alot but still doesnt help. Please
advise what I can do to fix the issue?

Every winter I have to increase the up/down force on my Craftsman 1/2
HP Garage Door opener to prevent the exact symptoms you describe. I've
never had a problem at 50 degrees, but once it hits the 30's it's time
for an adjustment. In the spring, I turn it back down as part of my
spring chores.

BTW - you didn't say how old your GDO is - mine's over 20 YO.

Lubrication may not be the key. A 50 Fahrenheit degree change can bring
about dimensional changes sufficient to cause binding, etc.

Boden