Posted to alt.home.repair
Barney[_2_] Barney[_2_] is offline

Default Level floors

"Ray K" wrote in message
I'm always impressed with the smooth, level floors in a typical Home Depot
or Lowe's. They look like concrete with some kind of coating over them.
Questions:

1. Anyone know what the actual construction of these floors is, especially
how they get the top layer so perfectly smooth?
2. What kind of contractors do this work?
3. Even though they may be an expensive overkill, are they practical for
home use, as an underlayment for ceramic tiles or Pergo-type flooring, ?
Yes, I am aware of self-leveling products that are hard to mix without a
1/2" drill, and even after mixing are thick enough to require troweling.

My situation is a bedroom where the edges of floor along three of the four
walls are about 1/4" below the level of the floor two feet in from the
walls. There are also some minor low spots in the center.

so, what's the big deal?