Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee K Lee K is offline

Default OT Sink Hole in small Texas town east of Houston

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Lee K wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Lee K wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
evodawg wrote:
Leon wrote:

It has made the national news now, a giant 500' x 600' x 150'
deep
sink hole
has formed inside a small Texas town. It is sucking up
vehicles,
buildings
and trees. Arial camera views from a helicopter are perfect
for
viewing how ever, "business as usual" a member of congress has
decided that he needs to spend more of the tax payers money to
fly
down and see for him self.

Perhaps he plans to use all his hot air to reinflate the salt
dome
that is collapsing.

http://www.click2houston.com/video/16211395/index.html

Congress answer to everything, throw money at it and it will go
away.
Or instead of determining the problem, (Gas and Oil industry)
tax
their profits... How about allowing them to freakin DRILL!!!!
God,
hate our government! Vote all the asses out!!!!

Drill where?

There's ANWR, an area the size of SC where they would create an
oil
field the size of NYC's Central Park and contains billions of
barrels
of oil.

Uh huh, they're going to solve the world's energy problems with an
area the size of a rich guy's back yard. How long will "billions
of
barrels" last?

You said "Drill where" and there's an area. How long will billions
of
barrels last? Longer than not having our own billions of barrels.
Drill there.

Will it last long enough to make any kind of real difference?

Until we drill there, we won't know, will we? How long have we been getting
oil out of the North Slope fields? What were their projected reserves vs
what the yield has been, and continues to be? What, if any, environmental
damage has been caused? Why should the experience with ANWR be worse?

There's the Gulf Coastline, not drilling there is not going
to prevent environmental risks, since Cuba is beginning drilling
on
their side.

In what "gulf" do you believe Cuba to be located? If you mean the
Gulf of Mexico, when did they _stop_ drilling there?

We're talking a huge expansion in drilling. Cubans are looking to
develop these feilds with Chinese help. So, you're saying we
shouldn't drill in the Gulf because Cuba is already doing it?

Where in what gulf is Cuba drilling?

And when did the United States stop drilling in the Gulf of Mexico?
What do you think all those big structures on stilts off the coast
are? Vacation homes?

Off the shores of Florida, specifically. How many wells do you see there?
None, nada, zip. All the wells you cite are off Texas and Louisiana.

Offshore west coast.

How much oil is there that has not already been tapped?

Who knows, since all exploration is outlawed. Again, this is in
response to your "Drill where?" query. After all these options are
proposed, and you reject them all, you'll then say "Why don't these
oil companies do something?".

No, I don't expect oil companies to be able to make oil. It's running
out. Deal with it.

Deal with it by finding more. This country is not going to stop using oil
overnight, or over decades. We need more domestic sources and we have to
stop tying our own hands in the search. YOU deal with it.

Develop the oil shale/sands in CO,
WY, Dakotas.

This is not an issue of "drilling". Find out what it costs to
extract oil from oil shale and you'll find that it's not
economically feasible at this time.

??!! "Not economically feasible at this time"? OK, you said find
out what it costs to extract oil from oil shale (and sands), so here
it is: "The cost of a barrel of oil extracted from the shale ranges
from as high as US$95 per barrel to as low US$12 per barrel. However
it would be prudent to think that costs would be inline with those
of
the Tar sands and so an oil price in the US$30-40 per barrel range
would be considered realistic for them to be profitable."

According to who? And what does mining rock have to do with
"drilling"?

It's oil that's the issue, you're anal retentive to focus only on 'drilling'
as a means of obtaining it.

It seems to me we need to develop these huge areas if only in our
self
interest to eliminate our dependence and vulnerability to
mid-eastern
politics and Venezuelan nut-jobs. Even if these areas prove to be
more expensive, albeit marginally, they are OUR areas, and profits
and jobs are HERE, taxes paid are into U.S. and state coffers, not
some Sheik's.

And what does King Abdulla do with his European and Russian and
Chinese and Japanese money? He buys a ****load of _American_ stuff.

Really? What stuff are we making that they're buying a ****load of?

Additional fields in West Texas and Eastern New Mexico
that were not economically viable at $30 a barrel oil but now seem
cheap at $125 oil.

What's preventing them from being used?

The run-up to $125 has been so quick these areas are only now being
developed.

So you're saying that they're being developed but it's illegal to
develop them?

Where did I say that? I referred to the economics of the situation, not the
legality.

Here's a quote from a decade old report: "During the 1970's and
80's, exploration effort focused on finding billion-barrel
fields --
fields of less than several hundred million barrels were
considered
uneconomic at anything less than the inflated prices of the early
1980's. Only a few fields were discovered that fulfilled the
apparent
size requirements. However, today, accumulations as small as 50
million barrels are considered to be of economic interest."

Yeah, but how long is 50 million barrels going to last? The
message
here is that we're scraping the bottom of the barrel, not that
we're
going to solve the problem with more diligent scraping.

Again, you say "Drill where" and when areas of potential are pointed
out you immediately naysay. 50,000,000 barrels of oil at $125 a
barrel is $6,250,000,000. Get a few areas, or a hundred areas of
that size and you begin to talk about real money. Dollars that stay
here.

Oh, I see, as long as somebody makes money it doesn't matter if any
problems get solved. 50 million barrels of oil is 2 days supply for
the US. You really think that that's going to solve any long-term
problems?

The solution to the problem is not scraping for the last drops of oil,
the solution is to just plain stop using the stuff. But it's too late
for that because of the actions of a bunch of nuts who fought every
possible alternative.

So your solution is to stop using the stuff because we're scraping for the
last drops, but then say it's too late to stop using the stuff that's about
to run out. I guess, according to you, we then run on virtual oil, since we
won't stop using the stuff when it's no longer there. Number yourself
amongst those who fight every alternative. Reminds me of my daughter when
she was about 3 years old and wanted three cookies. My wife offered her
two, but she was so stubborn that, if she couldn't get three cookies, she
didn't want the two being offered either.