Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default "Colder weather" Garage door opener issue

"HeyBub" wrote

Here in Houston, it snows - mayber a quarter inch - once every ten years.
They close the schools, freeways, everything. People stock up on canned
goods and huddle in the family room wearing everything they own. Prayers
are not uncommon. Visitors from the North giggle uncontrollably.

When a hurricane approaches, we stock up on beer and Strawberry PopTarts
and invite the neighbors for a party. Our northern visitors look down and
say "Feet, make tracks!"

LOL! It's true though!

That said, my area tomorrow is testing the emergency evacuation routes
again. Norfolk area has one major problem. There's really only one main
way out. In a hurricane, the tunnels and bridges arent usable so they
change I-64 to entirely westbound all the way to the Richmond beltway. Even
with that, if you don't get out before the storm starts, you can't use that
route. It's thickly treelined and only dual lane along long sections of it
between us and Richmond.

Katrina was bad, but a cat 5 here will catch a huge metro area unable to
evacuate at all. A locally well known problem. We'd need 4 days I think
they said. Me, I'd dive off to route 58 which is less treelined so less apt
to be blocked. Smaller though, single lane each way.

I've ridden several out here and up to Cat3, it's just a few down trees and
no power. Makes a mess of getting around, but there only 2 trees I have to
worry about. If we all sleep in the master bedroom or livingroom, we are
well out of where they can hurt us. Did that last time. I think that was
Floyd.