Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Colder weather and Garage door opener issue

On May 10, 2:18*pm, " wrote:
My Craftsman 1/2 HP Garage Door opener always takes 3 or 4 attempts to
open the garage door in colder weather (under 50 degrees
temperature). * It goes up about 1/4 of the way and just stops then we
close it and try again for 3-4 times and it finally opens the door.
If its really cold it takes more attempts. * *In warm weather (above
60 or 70 degrees) it opens with no problems on the first attempt.

I greased the chain and rollers alot but still doesnt help. *Please
advise what I can do to fix the issue?

Every winter I have to increase the up/down force on my Craftsman 1/2
HP Garage Door opener to prevent the exact symptoms you describe. I've
never had a problem at 50 degrees, but once it hits the 30's it's time
for an adjustment. In the spring, I turn it back down as part of my
spring chores.

BTW - you didn't say how old your GDO is - mine's over 20 YO.