Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Are concealed hinges strong enough for wood fence gates?

In article ,
"MiamiCuse" wrote:

I have a wood fence built in December and is now badly warped. In close
examination the two posts to which the gates attached to are plumb, however,
one of them is out of alignment (shifted by about 1.5") in relation to the
other posts on that side.

Fence is 6' tall, the gate opening is 10', so there are two gates each 5'
wide. Post on the left is OK, post on the right is inward 1.5".

I would like to avoid redoing the post since it is seated in a large
concrete footing that is connected to an adjacent post (I did that to avoid
any possibility of the gate sagging and pulling the post out of plumb.

The hinges I am using now are the ones like this:

http://www.hardwaresource.com/uploads/285lg.gif

This require the gate and the front of the fence posts to be flushed with
each other. I think if I can mount the gates such that it is shofted inward
for 1.5" then I should be OK.

That would require concealed hinges like this:

http://www.hardwaresource.com/uploads/115lg.gif

to be mounted on the inside surfaces. However I am not sure I don't think
these hinges can take that kind of weight. But may be there are some made
for this purposes, or there may be gate hinges that allows an offset
adjustment?

Thanks,

MC

Maybe you can slice 1.5" off the post, on one side, and add a 1.5" slice
of wood to the other side.