Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Levie Jim Levie is offline

Default OT - Data from Columbia disk drives survived the shuttle accident

On Sat, 10 May 2008 14:05:38 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools
I noted that too.

Actually I remember reading about the software in the Shuttle...using
very old hardware and software.

The DOS usage likely tells us when that subsystem was developed..which
is much newer than most of the Shuttle. ;)

This country has been coasting for a long time on old space technology
and it is coming back to bite us.

TMT

From the article it sounds like that disk drive was an experiment
controller and data collector. For that purpose, DOS would be a pretty
darned good choice. It is very light weight, allowing it to run on
minimal hardware, and is reasonably robust. Since the OS doesn't limit
a program's access to hardware, it is easy to write experiment control
and data acquistion programs. The problem these days would be in
finding hardware that DOS will run on, which is one reason that Linux
has become popular for this and similar purposes.

It isn't clear to me that the experiment computer ran DOS. All I can
be certain of from the article is that the disk was recorded using a
DOS file system.