Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default Fitting a weatherproof 13A socket

Owain wrote:
Lobster wrote:
So, taking advantage of the nice weather to fit it this afternoon. Am
curious about the instructions though. The back-box has two earthing
terminals - given that this is obviously a plastic box, when would
they be required?

When wiring a lightswitch or other accessory which does not need an
earth. Are both terminals marked for earth, or could one be used for
looping the lighting circuit?

Can't remember the markings, and I ain't unscrewing it all now! ;-)

Which brings me to another query. This doesn't apply to me as I have a
single socket, but what on earth is the bit about using a bridging
cable in a double socket? Surely it can't mean that this is necessary
for the continuity of the ring to be maintained, or, apart from
anything else, it would be compulsory rather than recommended? (FWIW
the double socket is at:
http://www.timeguard.com/product/outdoor-power/powerseal-sockets/outdoor-twin-gang-socket)

It looks as though the double socket is two single sockets mounted on
the same faceplate, without internal links between the two.

Well I did wonder about that possibility, but wouldn't that make the
bridge really pretty important, rather than just the mealy-mouthed
'recommended'? Admittedly I can't think of any other reason though.

David