Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Level floors

You would need to give a lot more information. You never bothered
to tell whether your floor is a concrete slab or suspended on
joists.

The store's floors are concrete. The newest trend is to grind the
finished concrete after it is set with diamond. The concrete just
begins to shine at about 600 grit. If you really want to know
more about it, go he
http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/polishing/

It is far too expensive to do under some other floor covering. If
you want to flatten a floor under flooring, the standard approach
would be to use a floor leveling compound. I prefer the cement
based/vinyl modified products. I prefer Mapei and Ardex products.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Ray K" wrote in message
I'm always impressed with the smooth, level floors in a typical
Home Depot or Lowe's. They look like concrete with some kind of
coating over them. Questions:

1. Anyone know what the actual construction of these floors is,
especially how they get the top layer so perfectly smooth?
2. What kind of contractors do this work?
3. Even though they may be an expensive overkill, are they
practical for home use, as an underlayment for ceramic tiles or
Pergo-type flooring, ? Yes, I am aware of self-leveling products
that are hard to mix without a 1/2" drill, and even after mixing
are thick enough to require troweling.

My situation is a bedroom where the edges of floor along three
of the four walls are about 1/4" below the level of the floor
two feet in from the walls. There are also some minor low spots
in the center.

Thanks,

Ray