Scott Cramer

Default Home Depot Scorns Christian Groups

On 29 Jul 2003, Henry E Schaffer spake unto rec.woodworking:

There is something awry when you combine that sport with
religion. I
can see the NRA sponsoring such a charity - the "Make a Death Wish
Foundation" or some such. Here's the rub: the folks who consider
"Thou shalt not kill" among their basic principles are out knocking on
doors with their hands out to help terminally ill kids shoot
something. Now, I know that the commandment refers to killing people,
but there's more than a bit of irony there.

The English version of that commandment is more like "Thou shalt not
murder." - which, as you acknowledge, has nothing to do with hunting.
So what's the religious controversy?

Guns and religion have certainly been a winning combo in the rest
of the world.

I guess I shouldn't balk when a religion endorses gun use here.
It's for the kids, after all. Guess I wasn't thinking.