Posted to alt.home.repair
pipedown pipedown is offline

Default What paint for white stucco.

"PaPaPeng" wrote in message
On Fri, 9 May 2008 16:49:31 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

Not mold or tattered strands will happen with latex, I never heard
that one before.

Stucco breathes. Latex paint will seal it and cause all sorts of
dampness problems if you paint over stucco with latex.

If used for touching up spots moisture has an opportunity to remain
under the latex coat. In my place, Edmonton, Alberta, the humidity is
quite low 50 to 70 per cent, we must have some super breed of mold.
That stuff grows immediately on any damp spot. When rain runs down
the wall it provides a temporary growth path for the mold colony
under the latex. That means the original black area will produce
multiple streaks. My house is 30 years old and looks great. I don't
have any mold problem. But I have seen that on neighboring houses.

Sounds like your neighbors just painted over the old mold only to have it
come back. If you properly clean and prime any bare areas, you should not
get mold or moisture penetration with an adequate coat. You can also get
paint with a mold inhibitor. Stucco breaths from the back surface.