Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PC woes

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
one way round the heatsink sits nicely on the CPU, the other way round
... it overheats because it doesn't

Well, it's been on the same way round since I built the machine and
worked ok for a year or so. I know this because of the cable to the
fan.

But I'm not convinced it's a cooling problem. I'm thinking a broken
track or dry joint round about the CPU.

But just for you I'll turn it round...

No difference.

You were lucky if you did that! Putting the heatsink the wrong way on
older AMD CPUs would have destroyed the chip! The word was check not
just try it.

As I said it appears symmetrical. Nor are there any markings on it. And it
can only be fitted one of two ways due to the clip. Do you actually know
the type of heatsink supplied with the Athlon 64 3000+ ? And how would you
account for it working ok for over a year if fitted incorrectly?

You can get a new cpu and MB for about £99 which is probably the easiest
solution.

Looking that way.

--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.