Posted to alt.home.repair
PaPaPeng PaPaPeng is offline

Default What paint for white stucco.

On Fri, 9 May 2008 15:51:02 -0700, "pipedown"
wrote:

"PaPaPeng" wrote in message
.. .

I had to sparay paint the walnut stain on the wood trim of my mostly
white stucco house. Brush painting would have been very long and
difficult to do by myself. There is some overspray of dark brown on
the stucco. What is the best paint or material to use to cover up
this overspray. I am thinking of quicklime whitewash. But where do I
buy quicklime from?

Quicklime! A paint fashonable 100 years ago. I think a quality latex would
stand up better than a coat of baked limestone slurry. If you want, you can
usually get it in the garden dept for adjusting the acidity of the soil.
How it is mixed to apply to a house is lost to me. I think they mixed it
with milk and water. If you go that way maybe you also want to make some
homemade red iron oxide barn paint to complete the turn of the century look.
(rust, eggs and milk as a binder, all stuff farmers had in abundance).
Neither paint was stable for long and streaking due to rain is expected from
either.

You can't buy either, you have to make it yourself. Here is some more info
I found:

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/...es/recipes.htm

Thank's for the link and the garden supplies source. I originally
came from the Far East where we used whitewash, a cottage industry
using burnt seashells and old coral, for painting concrete walls. I
am quite familiar with their properties as paints. They flake off
around something like five years as they absorb CO2 and change into
carbonate, a property useful in my application. At least quicklime is
quite similar to stucco and will weather similarly. White stain won't
have the covering power. Using latex paint to cover the overspray I
think will risk weathering that will produce tattered strands of latex
resulting in moldy streaks that stand out.