Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT Sink Hole in small Texas town east of Houston

J. Clarke wrote:

Lee K wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
evodawg wrote:
Leon wrote:

It has made the national news now, a giant 500' x 600' x 150'
deep
sink hole
has formed inside a small Texas town. It is sucking up vehicles,
buildings
and trees. Arial camera views from a helicopter are perfect for
viewing how ever, "business as usual" a member of congress has
decided that he needs to spend more of the tax payers money to
fly
down and see for him self.

Perhaps he plans to use all his hot air to reinflate the salt
dome
that is collapsing.

http://www.click2houston.com/video/16211395/index.html

Congress answer to everything, throw money at it and it will go
away.
Or instead of determining the problem, (Gas and Oil industry) tax
their profits... How about allowing them to freakin DRILL!!!!
God,
hate our government! Vote all the asses out!!!!

Drill where?

There's ANWR, an area the size of SC where they would create an oil
field the size of NYC's Central Park and contains billions of
barrels
of oil.

Uh huh, they're going to solve the world's energy problems with an
area the size of a rich guy's back yard. How long will "billions of
barrels" last?

Well, as an outside guess (since I didn't ask, I'm not going to google oil
consumption statistics), I'd say a darn sight longer than 0 barrels of oil
which is what we are getting from there now. Kind of like the original
argument against drilling in ANWR about 10 years ago when the liberal
senator made the comment that it would be 10 years before anything would
come from drilling there. Guess what? It's 10 years later and we've now got
NOTHING because of doofus arguments like that.

There's the Gulf Coastline, not drilling there is not going
to prevent environmental risks, since Cuba is beginning drilling on
their side.

To be more precise, China is drilling off the coast of Cuba.

... snip
Here's a quote from a decade old report: "During the 1970's and
80's, exploration effort focused on finding billion-barrel fields --
fields of less than several hundred million barrels were considered
uneconomic at anything less than the inflated prices of the early
1980's. Only a few fields were discovered that fulfilled the
apparent
size requirements. However, today, accumulations as small as 50
million barrels are considered to be of economic interest."

Yeah, but how long is 50 million barrels going to last? The message
here is that we're scraping the bottom of the barrel, not that we're
going to solve the problem with more diligent scraping.

No, the argument here is that small pockets of oil are economically
feasible to develop now.