Posted to alt.home.repair
jeff37 jeff37 is offline

Default How long to strip / sand a 300sqft deck?

I'm trying to make the DIY vs outsourcing decision on my deck. Due to
its current state, I know I have to completely strip the current oil
based product and start from scratch. I know the staining isn't a big
deal, but I'm trying to figure out how much time I'm talking about if
I prep it myself.

It has Flood CWF on it, which I've heard is tough to get off. I
tested a couple treatments of stripper on a small section, and it
didn't do the job. Of course, this was without using a powerwasher
and it wasn't a very thorough test. My hope is that two treatments
of stripper and low power pressure washing, followed by light sanding
will do the trick.

The deck is about 300sqft, has no lattice, and also has railing with
1" squared poles every 5" or so. The part that worries me the most
are these vertical rails. I think they will be tough to completely
strip, and sanding may be very time consuming.

Just hoping someone who has undertaken a similar task can comment on
the timeline.

Thanks!