Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] bomobob@gmail.com is offline

Default Fastening to metal studs

On May 9, 4:08 pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
wrote:
I would have loved to have done that, and was going to to begin
with,
but they decided they really didn't want the mantle to be thicker
than
4", and swore up and down they would never put anything heavy on it.
They were also sure the studs were wood, until I insisted they
verify
with the builder.

Oh well, maybe I'll suggest they hang it from the cathedral ceiling
with very long wires....

Will the client buy into the idea of the cleat being an architectural
item that serves as background for the mantle since it would be larger
than the mantle?

Lew

Well, that's exactly what I was thinking, and I think they would. A
nice, matching cleat visible behind and below the mantle itself could
actually look OK and be a pretty good solution. The back of the thing
is recessed 1/4" to accommodate the Z-clips, as is the back edge of
the bottom, but I could fairly easily build up the back edges of the
top and sides by another 1/2" to shroud the cleat, maybe in walnut or
some other accent wood.

This can definitely be saved...I think...

Bob