Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Fastening to metal studs

wrote in message

I would have loved to have done that, and was going to to begin with,
but they decided they really didn't want the mantle to be thicker than
4", and swore up and down they would never put anything heavy on it.
They were also sure the studs were wood, until I insisted they verify
with the builder.

Oh well, maybe I'll suggest they hang it from the cathedral ceiling
with very long wires....

If you use the French cleat(s) with as many screws into the studs as you can
get with self tapping screws, and also fastened to the sheetrock with
"toggle bolts" in between the metal studs, AND, if possible, some
construction adhesive to bond the back of the mantel to the drywall, you
should be in pretty good shape.

Even without the construction adhesive, and providing all your screws prove
to have a solid hold, my estimation from your description thus far is that
you'll be just fine.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08