Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stryped stryped is offline

Default HF band saw

On May 9, 11:52*am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On May 9, 10:46*am, stryped wrote:

What acuracy is needed in terms of building a trailer???

I cut the steel for my saw mill to tape measure / pencil line accuracy
and straightened out welding distortions with a jack.
The axle seats were aligned parallel with a framing level. I had the
blade tracking properly 5 minutes after assembly. Your trailer can't
possibly be as demanding as getting a bandsaw blade to track straight
on motorcycle tires and that was done with carpentry tools.

When you weld a tapered, badly fitted joint it's likely to warp out of
square as it cools. As long as you cut each piece to fit you can
compensate for the distortion. For a trailer this is more of a
nuisance than a real problem.

Jim Wilkins

Will a heavy 6 foot by 12 foot square stucture made out of 3x3 tubing
warp much when welding if I tack everything first?