Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Doing up 22mm compression fittings

John Rumm wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:

Wherever possible, I initially made the joints 'off-line' by holding
the valve body in a vice while doing up the compression nut. On
numerous occasions I found that after doing up the nut with a 15"
adjustable spammer, using far more torque than *felt* [1] right, if
I took it apart again the olive would still rotate fairly freely on
the (copper) pipe. Is this what usually happens, or was I doing something
wrong?

Some lubrication often helps - I usually use a small amount of PTFE on
the fitting just to aid tightening - saves the joint making that nasty
squeaking noise as you go as well!

I also have a big adjustable spanner that is sort of crossed with a
mole grip style locking mechanism. You wind it down to size like
normal - but then squeezing the extra side handle locks it on the
nut.

I've got one of those as well, made by Stanley Tools. Brilliant. A Godsend
when plumbing, like having an extra hand - lock it onto the fitting & it
stays there.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-S...ench-23330.htm

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman