Posted to alt.home.repair
StarMan StarMan is offline

Default Soffit boards - like Hardie Boards; but not..? What is it?

"Steve" wrote in message
.128...

I've used paint stirrers for shims. They're not the best wood, but they're
consistently sized (and free).

As I have, too. In fact I'm going to use a couple for a window sill where
the RO was 1/4" too low.

I'm a tad leary of using paint stirs on the soffit, though. As you said;
not the best wood, and this particular shim would be EXPOSED to the outside.
I would imagine stirs would be candy for termites... and there's also rot
(paint only is so effective)

Check with lumber yards. You'd be surprised what they can order. They may
be able to get an exact replacement for you.

I am going to call aroud today. With luck I'll find something. I looked
online and found there IS such a thing as 7/16" x 7-7/8" lap siding board
which looks close enough for my application. So it's made; I just have to
find it.