Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

Default Conversion to gas? ? ?

On May 9, 4:54 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Pete C." wrote in message
You aren't suggesting that they can skip the annual service on the
boiler are you??? Gas may not need to have a nozzle and filter changed
like oil, but it certainly needs an annual service just like oil,
particularly for a commercial sized unit like the OP has. The cost of
that annual service isn't going to be any different since a nozzle and
filter account for about $10 worth of materials.

We run two 125 HP boilers fired with gas. They are checked for efficiency
every two months. We are, in fact, putting on controls at $45,000 to gain
just 2% in efficiency. They get opened and cleaned once a year and the fire
side gets a quick brushing. Takes one person about an hour

We used to run a smaller (40 HP) oil fired boiler. It had to be opened
every three months and it took two men about 4 hours to clean, vacuum,
dispose of the soot, dispose of their now filthy coveralls, breathing
apparatus, and then another hour to clean up the boiler room.

Now you say the cost of annual service is not going to be different

When having to spend that much money, I'd start looking at Solar
energy.
Or you can keep paying out the monthly fees to the different power
companies.
Lou