Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default LCD Monitor problem

"Wiebe Cazemier" wrote in message
.home.nl...
On Friday 09 May 2008 10:07, Arfa Daily wrote:

Well, if ever you get one of those Sony players - and there was lots of
'em
that used variations of the same board, mounted directly to the underside
of
the deck - if it 'feels' like you've got a bad laser, look to see if it's
got those three caps along the edge of the board. If it has, you better
start looking for a supplier ... !! I never have figured out why
'standard'
electros won't work in that position. Like you, I have subbed leaded for
sm's in other places, without problem. About the only difference that
I've
found is that the leaded types tend to have a lower ESR than the sm's,
which
under normal circumstances, you'd say was a good thing.

Arfa

Doesn't it have to do with higher stray inductance (more inductance, less
high-frequency shunt capability)? SMD parts are usually the only usable
kind
of part in sensitive equipment, like PWM amplifiers.

That's certainly a possibility. The servo data strippers and loops, are
quite sensitive bits of circuitry in CD players, and these caps are glued
straight on the end of pins on the servo processor chip, so they may well be
decouplers or timing caps.

Arfa