Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios[_2_] Tzortzakakis Dimitrios[_2_] is offline

Default 280V motor on 230V circuit

? "Thomas Tornblom" ?????? ??? ??????
Residential power in Sweden is 400V 3 phase, main fuses normally 25A
or lower.

Room outlets are wired with one phase, neutral and ground to get 230V.

There is a smallish transformer station in the neighborhood which
probably powers two entire blocks. I would guess somewhere around 20-30
houses.

Absolutely the same here, in Greece we are using only Schuko sockets, from
german Schutzkontakt, security contact. There is a larger substation, maybe
2-3 for a city (in Iraklion we have 3, 180,000 residents) that steps down
from the transmission voltage, 150 kV down to primary distribution voltage,
15 kV that is the distributed with cables buried in earth. Our local power
station has units with 15 kV (older) and newer with 6.6 kV alternators, all
is stepped up to 150 kV even for the ~15 km to Iraklion. In capitals, like
Athens, electricity comes at 400 kV, is stepped down to 150 kV for secondary
transmission, again goes to the areas af the city with underground cables,
stepped down to 15 kV locally, and then distributed again (the main
generation facilities are in Kozani, West Macedonia, and they burn brown
coal. Typical size of a unit is 300 MW, voltage 21 kV and current 10 kA
which is stepped up to 400 kV, 400 A line current for transmission to Athens
and Thessaloniki).

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering