Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Fastening to metal studs

On May 9, 10:40*am, Robatoy wrote:
On May 9, 10:21*am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

"Swingman" wrote:
BEWA Mantles end up being the resting place of expensive "objects
d'art"
(if not for this resident, perhaps for the next) and because of this
fact
you may well be doing yourself a favor to "over engineer" ... you do
NOT
want any unpleasant call backs from "friends".

What material is the wall? This information is important to an
effective
solution.

Self tapping screws can be used into the metal studs, but, depending
upon
the wall material, I would also routinely throw in a few molly bolts
in
between the studs for the wall half of the French cleat.

If I were doing this job, shear load is not going to be a problem;
however, cantilever loading could be.

As someone suggested, the wider the French Cleat, the better. 6"-8"
would be a good starting point, 12" if there is room.

I would attach this cleat using #14, coarse thread, self tapping, S/S,
flat head, sheet metal screws (At least 2-3 per stud) along with
construction adhesive.

Just you're basic belt and suspenders design approach.

Allow the adhesive to cure 10-14 days before using.

Lew

It also depends on the gauge of the metal stud. I hang entire rows of
wall cabinets on metal studs with toggles if they're thin gauge studs
and self tapping screws if we're dealing with thick metal... even then
we pre-drill with a 1/16 bit.
The load on cabinets is more shear, and Lew is right about the load
being very different if the shelf protrudes from the wall and creates
a cantilevered load. One brass statue and Swing's caution should be
heeded. ( Or one arm of my ex with a beer in her hand leaning on
it...MUCH more serious than a brass Rodin.)

Toggles. When in doubt, I always use properly installed toggles. The
plastic expanding ones will cut themselves on the inner edge of a
metal stud hole, so use metal ones.
This building doesn't have a bd-ft of wood, to screw into, in it:http://www.marinervillage.ca/photos.htm
We have installed many kitchens in here and toggles are my friend.

(suite 114 is one of our jobs)