Posted to rec.woodworking
FrozenNorth[_3_] FrozenNorth[_3_] is offline

Default Fastening to metal studs

charlie took a can of maroon spray paint on May 9, 2008 10:15 am and wrote
the following:

"Swingman" wrote in message

"giga" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm builing a cherry mantle for some friends, the floating type, made to

be
fastened directly to the wall above the fireplace. There are no sides,
so

no
support from the floor. It weighs about 25 lbs or so. I had planned to
use
French cleats to hang it from the wall, but they just found out from the
builder that the house is built with metal studs, and not wood as we had
expected.
Can you hang that much weight from metal studs, and if so, what sort of
fastening system would be best? There are basically 4 studs along the

length
of the mantle.

BEWA Mantles end up being the resting place of expensive "objects
d'art"
(if not for this resident, perhaps for the next) and because of this fact
you may well be doing yourself a favor to "over engineer" ... you do NOT
want any unpleasant call backs from "friends".

What material is the wall? This information is important to an effective
solution.

Self tapping screws can be used into the metal studs, but, depending upon
the wall material, I would also routinely throw in a few molly bolts in
between the studs for the wall half of the French cleat.

As others have mentioned, and depending again upon the wall material, a
bit
of construction adhesive would also add to the "belt and suspenders"
approach, which is certainly justified in this particular situation due
to first above.

what would the adhesive do attaching the cleat to drywall? the paper isn't
very strong, and that's all you're gluing to.

That is what I was wondering, if the mantle is thick enough, I would
consider removing some of the drywall, and adding 2by4 cross braces between
the metal studs. Bit of ply or drywall to bring it back to level and then
adding the cleat.
--
Lits Slut #9