Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Humidor

"Dr. Deb" wrote in message

I need a bit of help. A friend of my just sent me an e-mail from his
deployment in the MidEast and told me he is coming home on mid tour leave.
While here he has been asked to build a presentation humidor for his
commander. Making the box is not a problem - of course taking it from
humid Alabama to the arid MidEast is something to be factored in (read
plywood for the top and bottom)

What I need help with is the finish. I was thinking of using Watco Oil

and
doing the 7 coats and sanding with progressively finer grits and finishing
it all off with a good coat of Briwax.

Am I good to go or is there a better finish?

You are, of course, using unfinished Spanish cedar to line the interior?

FWIW, Leon has been using an impressive product made by the Lawrence
McFadden Co that, judging from what I've seen he's finished with it, makes
me think it would make an excellent and natural finish for the exterior of a
humidor made with most hardwoods.

Maybe he'll chime in here.

--
www.e-woodshop.net