Posted to rec.woodworking
giga[_2_] giga[_2_] is offline

Default Fastening to metal studs

Hi all,

I'm builing a cherry mantle for some friends, the floating type, made to be
fastened directly to the wall above the fireplace. There are no sides, so no
support from the floor. It weighs about 25 lbs or so. I had planned to use
French cleats to hang it from the wall, but they just found out from the
builder that the house is built with metal studs, and not wood as we had
expected.
Can you hang that much weight from metal studs, and if so, what sort of
fastening system would be best? There are basically 4 studs along the length
of the mantle.

Thanks,

Bob