Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wiebe Cazemier[_2_] Wiebe Cazemier[_2_] is offline

Default LCD Monitor problem

On Friday 09 May 2008 10:07, Arfa Daily wrote:

Well, if ever you get one of those Sony players - and there was lots of 'em
that used variations of the same board, mounted directly to the underside of
the deck - if it 'feels' like you've got a bad laser, look to see if it's
got those three caps along the edge of the board. If it has, you better
start looking for a supplier ... !! I never have figured out why 'standard'
electros won't work in that position. Like you, I have subbed leaded for
sm's in other places, without problem. About the only difference that I've
found is that the leaded types tend to have a lower ESR than the sm's, which
under normal circumstances, you'd say was a good thing.

Arfa

Doesn't it have to do with higher stray inductance (more inductance, less
high-frequency shunt capability)? SMD parts are usually the only usable kind
of part in sensitive equipment, like PWM amplifiers.