Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Electrical problems

Red Green wrote in
:

Mikko Peltoniemi wrote in news:68f2h7F2slbs9U1
@mid.individual.net:

Bob wrote:

Follow the BOOM. I would suspect a backstabbed contact on an
upstream outlet burned its way open after intermittent contact
arcing.

Ok. I think that'll be the last thing I do before calling an
electrician. It wasn't a loud boom really, was it was definitely
audible. And yes, there is a GFI, in the bathroom, which is live.

I didn't think of the outlets being daisy chained, but yeah, if only
I knew which way the wire goes, I would know which is the last
working outlet...

Probably more a Crack or Pop? Just as a glimmer of hope. Running a
shop vac once. On, off, on, off. Worked fine. Then off, then on, then
crack/pop. some outlets off. Turned out an outlet between the one I
was using and the breaker had a crud terminal and it finally arc'd
out.

The thing that drove me nuts is I wasn't habitually familiar with the
house yet.I traced, disco'ed outlets, tested and everything. Can not
find it. OK, leave it for now. Lots of other fish to fry in HUD Wreck.
One day I move a piece of drywall I had standing against a narrow wall
for a later task. Oh lookie here. An outlet. Do ya think it was the
culpret?

Ooops. I see in another part of the thread is the details. By bad.