Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin Paul Franklin is offline

Default Other Kinds of Trimmers?

On Thu, 08 May 2008 10:13:19 -0500, wrote:

Paul Franklin wrote:

There are wheeled string trimmers. The DR Trimmer is probably the
best of that lot.
www.drtrimmer.com

Great when you have lots of trimming, very heavy trimming, slopes,
around ponds, etc. With their chainsaw style blade accessory it will
cut through 3-4" dia saplings.

Would it actually be possible to "mow" with such a
device if the yard is small?

Sure. You don't get as even a cut as with a standard mower, but it'd
be a cinch on a small yard. The DR has a 21 inch cutting width,
that's not much smaller than many mowers. Heck, I had a college
roommate who mowed his tiny condo yard with a conventional string
trimmer, and it looked fine to me. Of course, the DR costs more than
most mowers, so you wouldn't be saving any money...

There's a guy on the web that sells add on wheels for regular string
trimmers, the idea being the wheels take most of the weight, and help
keep an even height. Middle ground between a hand held string trimmer
and the big DR wheeled trimmer.

Paul F.