Posted to alt.home.repair
J.A. Michel J.A. Michel is offline

Default Sprinkler System Problem

"BobR" wrote in message
Moved into an older home a couple years ago with an existing sprinkler
system. It has never worked correctly and I am trying to get the
system back into shape. Just replaced the backflow valves and got the
system to partially work but can not leave the water and the timer
on. It appears that one of the valves is stuck open or partially open
which allows one of the stations to run even when the station is off.
I know that I need to replace the station valve but I can't find the
damn thing.

The system has five stations and I have only been able to locate the
controls for three of the stations. All five have been buried and
there is no plot of where to locate them. The three that I have
located were in different areas and not near the areas being
serviced. I can only guess as to where the remaining two are. I am
on a large cul-d-sac lot with the sprinkler covering the entire lot.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can find the remaining two
valves without destroying the entire yard in the process? I found the
third valve when digging up and replacing one of the flower beds. Oh
yes, the damn power cord for the system is also buried under the
patio.

PS: Had the same problems with the sewer clean out and the main water
line coming into the house. Paid a very high price for the plumber to
find those under emergency conditions.

Follow the water pipes that exit the house