Posted to alt.home.repair
StarMan StarMan is offline

Default Soffit boards - like Hardie Boards; but not..? What is it?

"Steve" wrote in message
.128...
"StarMan" wrote in
:

My house, late 80s Florida construction, has a continuous vented
soffit made out of screen between two boards which are like Hardie;
but not.

Harie Board seems closer to 1/4" but this stuff in my soffit is more
like 1/2". It's 7-7/8" wide and seems made of some pressed wood with
the faux woodgrain finish.

A small leak caused by the satellite dish caused some deterioration.
I can replace the wood easily enough but I can't seem to find a
replacement for this soffit board. Neither my local Home Depot nor
Lowe's had them.

Anyone know what this might be and what it might be called, so when I
call around looking for it I know what to ask? Is this stuff even
made anymore?

It's probably some kind of fiberboard.

I would replace it with HardieSoffet. Rip some shims and nail them to the
bottom of the joists to make up the difference in thickness.

Thanks for the idea.

I'd need a full-length shim strip since it would need to contact the screen
at the edge.

Actually I've found where they made cedar lap siding (I guess a fiber board;
I didn't yet look closely at how it's made) which is of the exact size I
have (7-7/8" x 7/16") but I have no idea where to get one locally.