Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Doing up 22mm compression fittings

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Roger Mills" writes:

Yes. One end of one or two of the isolator valves were on 3/4" pipe - for
which I used the proper 3/4" imperial olives. But the problems to which I
initially referred were with brand new 22mm copper pipe, using the 22mm
olives supplied with the fittings.

They do need quite a lot of force (possibly more so for brass
olives than copper olives). For 22mm compression joints, I put
a couple of turns of PTFE on the thread and on the rear half
of the olive to act as a lubricant whilst tightening, but I'm
very careful not to get it into any of the sealing surfaces.
(If you disassemble again before final assembly, you can take
the PTFE off once the olive is deformed onto the pipe.)

Andrew - why not use a smear of oil or grease instead of PTFE tape?