Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Electrical problems

Mikko Peltoniemi wrote:
So I was on the computer, then all of a sudden I hear BOOM, like an
circuit breaker tripping, and everything went quiet. The computer
was off.

I took a peek in the electrical panel, but no circuit breakers had
tripped. Odd, I thought. But I still didn't have electricity to
my computer.

I did some investigating, and it seems the bathroom light, and two
outlets are dark. That's it. Nothing else. Also, with a voltmeter
I checked each circuit breaker. I thought maybe one of them had
broken, but was left in the ON position. I took my voltmeter, and
checked the voltage of each wire going to the circuit breakers against the
neutral. All came up as 120 V. And when I would turn off any one
of the circuit breakers, the meter showed 0 V. So it wasn't that.

But still, I have no electricity. What could be the issue? Any
suggestions?

Other oddball ideas that came to my mind was that maybe those
particular outlets and lights were connected to my neighbor's circuit.
Could this be, or is it totally out of the question?

Actually the room where the dead outlets are has one outlet that
works. Also the light is on in that room. Weird, I thought all the
outlets in a room would be in the same circuit. And the bathroom,
which has no light now, has a working outlet also.

I'm pretty much at my wits end, and probably will have to get an
electrician. But maybe someone would have any experience of a similar
situation, before I call one to turn a circuit breaker or twist a
knob.

It's not your neighbor.

Turn off the circuit breaker. Test other outlets. Find the one that's now
off but comes on when you energize the circuit breaker.

This is probably the culprit. Call is "SUSPECT." That is, SUSPECT is live,
but everything downstream is dead.

Wires go from the circuit breaker dot-dot-dot to SUSPECT. From there, wires
are SUPPOSED to go to the remaining outlets on the string. Odds are the
wires connecting SUSPECT to everything else have a fried connection.

If the wires on SUSPECT (or to the next downstream outlet) are connected
with stab-in connectors, they've probably made a bad connection, current
increased, and the resulting heat melted something in the outlet.

Fix is easy. Replace the outlet that's at issue. Don't use the stab-in
connections.