Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default stripped front door today, pics

On May 5, 3:40*pm, Mikepier wrote:
Well, I finally got to strip most of the front door today. I think it
looks more like mahogany than oak.http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock...ppingFrontDoor

The Rock Miracle stuff did not work as I thought it would. It took a
lot of effort to take off the varnish and stain. I sanded down the
flat parts, but the moldings in the panels are almost impossible to
take off anything. I was thinking maybe paint the inside of the panels
and stain the rest of the door. Any suggestions how to take out the
rest of the varnish? thanks

You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.
With the work you've already done the price at the pro stripping shop
ought to be lower. You're at a point now where it will be easy to
really mess up a beautiful door, attacking with scrapers and Dremel
tools. Being smart means not letting stubbornness and misplaced pride
lead to a substandard result. There is absolutely no way you can
match the results that the pros get. Save your artistry for applying a
gorgeous finish that the door deserves. Good luck.

Joe