Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Soft vise jaws -- aluminum vs. brass

On May 7, 1:55*pm, Ignoramus18547 ignoramus18...@NOSPAM.
18547.invalid wrote:
Are there any serious disadvantages of "soft jaws" made of Aluminum?

The reason for my question is that I have a Wilton tradesman 1765
vise (6.5" jaw width), and I have aluminum angle already. Brass jaws
cost $85 and I thought that I coudl just fabricate something from the
angle.

Any experiences with aluminum jaws?
--
* *Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention
* * * to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating

Aluminum will distort if you clamp narrow work like a bolt but
otherwise it's fine. You can make jaw covers out of scrap sheetmetal
and hammer the ends or the top to clamp around the back of the jaw.
The thicker ones with magnets are convenient but reduce capacity.

Some vises have reversible jaws with one side smooth, or you can make
them out of aluminum or steel bar stock. I have a couple of sets of
aluminum and copper jaw covers and snap on whichever set is
appropriate, the good ones for filing nice work or the most beat-up
ones to grab bolt threads.

Jim Wilkins