Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Chandler Jim Chandler is offline

Default HF band saw

stryped wrote:

On May 7, 10:39 am, Jim Chandler wrote:

stryped wrote:

We had a local store open up and they have the metal cutting band saw
for 150 bucks or so. I bought one of these cheap bandsaws at TSC
several years ago and went through two of them before I finally
returned them and bought a chop saw. The problem was the blade cutting
3 inch square tubing crooked.

Should I try it again or not?

I've had one of these saws for several years now and for $150 it's a
good bargain. In the vertical position you can cut sheet, something
that a chop saw can't do.

Jim

I never thought of that. how thick? I am wanting to make some triangle
gussets out of 3/16. Could I use it for that?

I don't see why not. Just set the band speed for slow (belt pulleys)
and take it easy. I found that you can sit on the bed when the thing is
vertical. Puts you down at the level of the work and makes it a lot
more comfortable. Just down forget to put the lock pin in, that is
unless you relish the idea of a face full of bandsaw. It is limited to
the width it can cut in vertical because of the saw frame but I haven't
really found that to be a problem.

Jim