Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default HF band saw

stryped wrote:
On May 7, 10:39 am, Jim Chandler wrote:

stryped wrote:

We had a local store open up and they have the metal cutting band saw
for 150 bucks or so. I bought one of these cheap bandsaws at TSC
several years ago and went through two of them before I finally
returned them and bought a chop saw. The problem was the blade cutting
3 inch square tubing crooked.

Should I try it again or not?

I've had one of these saws for several years now and for $150 it's a
good bargain. In the vertical position you can cut sheet, something
that a chop saw can't do.

Jim

I never thought of that. how thick? I am wanting to make some triangle
gussets out of 3/16. Could I use it for that?

If you're talking about this sort of thing
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cbs45md-41-2in-x-6in-metal-cutting-ban/path/power-hacksaws-bandsaws-metal-cutting-saws
,which I have had one of for maybe 10 years now, I have cut 2" aluminium
plate and 1" bronze plate with it without problem. Use a good blade, I
usually use Lenox which is what J&L stock in the UK in the size
required. Main thing to bear in mind is the limited throat with the
frame being behind and to the left of the blade, many times I have had
to think through the operations to get the cuts completely through the
part, where a dedicated vertical with deeper throat wouldn't have had a
problem.