Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best wood for a rabbit run

PCPaul wrote:
I'm about to launch into making a few folding runs for small animals
(rabbits/guinea pigs) which will necessarily spend a lot of time sitting
on the grass.

The design I have in mind only needs a 1x1 frame, so that just about
brings nice woods like oak and ash into a reasonable price range.

What's the best wood to use for this application? (possibly with some
pet-safe preservative, but I'd like the wood to have some innate
resistance to rotting as well).

And as well as the *best* wood to use, what's the *sensible* wood to use?
I know there's probably some exotic species that wouldn't rot for 100
years, but at a ridiculous price...

the rabbots will rot in less than q100 years.

We used to use orange boxes got free from the grcers.

Pallets are good.

Let's face it, Nr Rabbit wont last more than 5-7 years, if you are
unlucky, and if lucky will get eaten by a fox tomorrow.
I wouldn't spend a penny on the bloody things. Well actually that is
EXACTLY what I WOULD do. Useless bloddy pets. Nibble bibble bibble.
Best stewed with sage.