Posted to uk.d-i-y
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default Tile Adhesive

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Thomarse wrote:
Can anyone recommend a decent wall tile adhesive for use in a
bathroom. I want to use waterproof adhesive, but unsure what to go
for. Obviously I dont wantto spend over the odds, but I want a quality
product. I looks at the wickes range, which seems reasonably priced,
anyone ever used it or have an opinion?

I use the Wickes stuff - never had a problem with it. Best use a specific
grout though, the combined adhesive/grouts don't grout well.

Which I have found out through an error this week.
I had a bathrrom to do, with a mosaic layer of 3 ~1" square tiles half
way up the wall. I tried one, and it was a pain to do with the normal
cement, as the grey cement pushed through the backing net, and made a
mess, so I bought a tub of combined grout/cement in white, and used
that.
No problem with the mosiacs, which stayed white through the gaps.
I had some left, and instead of mixing up my usual Mapei grout, thought
I'd finish off the grout/cement tub.
It went on OKish, a little stiff for grouting for my liking, but once
sponged down, it looked OK.
That was until the next day, where every joint was now in a 'V' shape
with mulitple pinholes.
It all had to be done again. With proper powder grout this time.
I've since tried it on my kitchen floor which needed grouting, and
pushed the grout well down between the joints, thinking it would be
better, but it wasnt, this formed a 'V' gully in the joins as well.
Best advice would be to avoid combined grout/cement, and posssibly all
pre-mixed grouts.
Alan.