Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default pens - pen17 [50%].JPG (0/1)

On Tue, 06 May 2008 20:11:51 -0500, wrote:

It's a personal thing, but I'm not into gloss on pens, though I have a few
customers that are..

I normally just buff pens, with or without Danish oil.. More of a glowing shine
than a glossy finish..

Avoid the friction polish route that most of us use when we start pens.. It's
instant gratification but isn't very durable and scratches easily..
The only one I've used that seemed ok was Shellawax and I still use the wax
buffing wheel on it after a few days to cure..

Lots of folks, including pen guru Dick Sing, use French polish..
I've never tried that so can't comment on it..

Clear gloss poly. I'm open to suggestions for a better finish.

Thanks, George

On Tue, 06 May 2008 07:18:25 -0700, mac davis
wrote:

On Mon, 05 May 2008 20:41:55 -0500,
wrote:

Two pens I made for friends. Cross cut walnut and cross cut oak. The
grain on the oak really stands out.

George (aka Bumhead)

You're progressing very well!

What finish are you using on them?