Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.basics
[email protected] nicksanspam@ece.villanova.edu is offline

Default Surge / Ground / Lightning

| I wonder if "ring mains" (an extra wire from the last outlet to make
| a loop back to the fusebox) are legal in the US. Seems like a nice way
| to improve voltage regulation with a little extra wire, and if the ring
| wire only breaks in one place, all the outlets keep working.

It is not legal in the US. It is also considered technically unsafe.

Lots of things are "technically unsafe" :-) Safety is often used as excuse
for people-control...

The safest case would be wiring both ends of the ring into the same breaker
rated for the current capacity of the wire as if used in a regular branch
circuit.

Sounds good to me.

... If the wire became loose at one point in the ring, it would still be
a potential hot spot

Maybe not too hot, if the rest of the wire is intact.

... a neutral would have to be wired in from both ends of the ring, and
each be wired in a separate hole (not doubled up) in the neutral bus bar.

The "separate hole problem" has lots of solutions.

... The issue of voltage stability is addressed by keeping branch circuits
short. It is my understanding that UK ring circuits tend to be longer and
run all around the portion of a house (often an entire floor).

Sounds more cost-effective to me. Why don't more people use large PEX pipe
"ring mains" with Ts, vs home runs with tiny pipe and expensive manifolds?

Nick