Posted to rec.woodworking
Fred the Red Shirt Fred the Red Shirt is offline

Default HELP: making boards from a tree trunk

On May 7, 10:53 am, Zz Yzx wrote:
About ten years ago I cut down a "Silver Dollar" eucalyptus tree in my
front yard. I cut the trunk into rounds about 18" - 24" long, the
diameter ranged from 14" to maybe 20". I tried splitting them right
afterwards for firewood, but the stuff was tough as magic nails, and
didn't split at all. So I threw them in my sideyard and let them sit
since. The other day I noticed the rounds were covered with fungus
and looked weathered. "Lightbulb: spalted wood".

So I hauled a small round into my woodshop and tried to saw a flatsawn
board off to see all the pretty grain and stuff, using a bow saw with

Any better way to mill boards from these rounds? I have a light-duty
chain saw, but don't see that working either. I can't imagine a saw
mill would take such a small job, or that it would be economically
feasible.

If it really was a ripping blade it sounds like it needs
to be sharpened. It should have big teeth, four teeth
per inch (TPI) would be about right I would think. You
need big teeth for resawing.

You can make one of these:

http://www.hyperkitten.com/woodworking/frame_saw.php3

A good hardwood is best, but Doug fir would probably do.

Taking to someone with a bandsaw would be my first choice,
if one were available.

You could also take up bowl turning...

--

FF